What we've been up to
Here's a snapshot of what the team have been up to and some of the deals we have worked on:
- We're delighted to be ranked top tier for Intellectual Property in Legal 500 for 2018. We were nominated law firm of the year for Regional Technology, Media & Telecoms by the Legal 500 in 2016.
- Mark Finn was interviewed on by BBC International news about the increase in domain name disputes being dealt with by the World Intellectual Property Organization (the UN body which promotes creativity and the protection of Intellectual Property).
- Acting in patent infringement litigation for client Collingwood Lighting against competitor JCC lighting regarding fire rated LED lighting systems.
- Acting for a toy manufacturer client in a trade mark, passing off and copyright infringement claim brought by a major UK toy manufacturer.
- Acting in the Court of Appeal in relation to an appeal from a patent infringement trial for client Atlas Elektronik GmbH (part of the same group as Airbus and European defence contractor EADS) against Saab regarding mine countermeasure devices.
- Acting for a fashion brand in trade mark infringement proceedings brought against a competitor fashion brand.
- Acting in brand protection matters for a high street retailer.
- Acting for a leading car manufacturer in relation to a copyright and passing off claim.
- Acting for DB Ashbourne Ltd (part of the Ethypharm Group) in trade mark litigation against a leading pharmaceutical parallel importer (Star Pharmaceuticals/DrugsRus) in connection with parallel imports of pharmaceuticals relabelled with the client’s trade mark VENLALIC.
- Acting for a leading international manufacturer and distributor of motor accessories in respect of a threatened private prosecution by a competitor under the Patents Act 1977 for alleged false marking of a product as “patented”.
- Advising Santander UK plc on intellectual property issues relating to Transport for London’s ‘Boris bikes’ scheme upon Santander taking over sponsorship of ‘Boris Bikes’ from Barclays Bank.
- Acting in a patent infringement trial for client HellermannTyton against Tyco (one of the world’s biggest telecoms cable suppliers (US$12 billion annual turnover)) in proceedings relating to structured cabling systems. This was settled the day before the trial was due to start.
- Acting in a trade mark infringement trial for client Red Legal Limited in an action brought against them by Redd Solicitors LLP.
- Acting in a patent infringement trial for client Collingwood Lighting against Aurora Lighting regarding fire rated LED lighting systems.
- Acting in a patent infringement dispute for client Vax (part of the world's biggest vacuum cleaner manufacturing group) against a competitor. The patent related to the design of carpet washing machines.
- Acting in relation to commercial IP contract and trade mark ownership issues for client Whitworths Limited (the well known baking ingredients company) against a licensee.
- Acting in a trade mark infringement dispute for client Vibram SpA (manufacturers of footwear and walking boot soles) in relation to a trade mark infringement claim brought by a trade mark owner.
- Acting in a trade mark infringement dispute for client Glenmuir (owners of the famous GLENMUIR golfing apparel company) in relation to a claim brought by a trade mark owner.