Food and Drink Sector - 2019 Summary
The food and drink sector is an important part of what we do here at EMW. All of our teams worked hard over the past year to ensure our clients’ needs were met.
Whilst many of the matters we deal with are confidential, take a look at a few of the matters that kept our teams occupied over the last year in the food and drink sector.
Our commercial contracts team have significant involvement in this sector with many longstanding clients who return to us time and time again for help in their industry. For example, over the last year the team have helped our clients with the following:
- assisting one of the largest food and drink sector wholesalers in the UK with their terms and conditions and drafted a supply of services agreement to assist as a template for the client to use going forward;
- assisting a merchandising company with its contract negotiations with a multi-national coffee producer;
- assisting a frozen foods business by negotiating an agreement for the supply of food products and stock management services with a major discount chain;
- providing advice to a regional brewery on contractual issues it had with a national drinks wholesaler;
- providing one of the largest food wholesalers in the UK with contract advice, public and private sector tender reviews and competition law advice; and
- producing standard template supply agreements for a major poultry business.
Our corporate team have a wealth of experience in this sector and are known for their efficient and commercial approach. Over the last year we have assisted our clients with some of the following:
- acting for both franchisors and franchisees, some of which own portfolios of franchise businesses. The services we provided ranged from preparation of franchise agreements, review of franchise agreements, exit planning and advising on the sale or purchase of existing franchise businesses or portfolios;
- providing food regulatory advice to an international luxury fashion brand in anticipation of a food initiative launch from one of their London stores; and
- acting for an artisan food producer in a share sale worth approximately £10million. This complex transaction involved the provision of security for deferred payments as well as inter-creditor deeds.
Our real estate team acted for the tenant of a new lease of a retail unit in London which sells artisan teas, provides ITEI Master Tea Sommelier courses and which has both an international presence and within various hotel, spa and department store locations in the UK.
Our dispute resolution team acted for one of our clients in connection with responding to investigations being undertaken by the Food Standards Agency.
As you can see from the snapshot above, 2019 has been a busy year for our teams. We believe 2020 will provide even greater opportunities for businesses operating in the food and drink sector and we are looking forward to working alongside our clients to help and to support them to realise their ambitions.
If you operate in the food and drink sector and would like to discuss any issues you may have, or need any advice, please contact Daisy Divoka or give us a call on 0345 070 6000.
Alternatively, click here to find out what our Food & Drink team can help you with.
This article was prepared by Harnaek Rahania.